Mum's Everyday Dal

Saturday, August 29, 2015

I wish I could just type out the exact phrases out of this cookbook to describe this dish.  Just go buy it, it is worth every penny and them some.  Aarti has a way with words, and a way with lentils that beckons a simple time.  This dish is pure comfort that reflects that very message.
I really enjoyed this version of lentils named Dal.  I confess that it is a rare occasion that I eat a lentil or bean unless it is refried out of a can, or mixed into a meg-sized Chipotle burrito.  I am happy to add this to my repertoire, because lentils are really good for us.  I cannot get over the gorgeous color of these either, you know I'll be asking for seconds!

You will need:
1 cup red lentils (picked through for stones)
2 cups water
1 yellow onion diced
1/2 in piece of peeled and minced fresh ginger
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 serrano pepper, halved (optional)
Kosher Salt

These humble lentils will need a good rinse and soak before we begin.  In a strainer or colander, rinse the lentils and soak them in water for 30 minutes.  Drain the beans when 30 minutes is up.
Next you start with a medium saucepan.  To the pan, add the water, onion, ginger, tomato, serrano, and lentils.  Using medium-high heat, bring the mix to a boil.
IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU DO NOT ADD THE SALT YET.
The directions say to skim the scum off the surface.  As the lentils boil, they give off what I saw to be a foam liquid of sorts.  Just take a spoon on the surface and try to take some of this foam out.  I didn't get a whole lot out on mine, but I just stirred and it go incorporated back into the liquid and didn't effect anything.  Once boiling, cover and lower the heat to a simmer.  The lentils will simmer for around 35-40 minutes - they will be done when translucent in appearance and nearly falling apart.
When the cooking is done, whisk the lentils to release any starches, and now you may add in salt to taste.  The mixture should thicken, then just ladle into a bowl and enjoy.  The only thing that would make these any better would be a cold day so they could warm your from the inside out.  August in Houston is no joke, you guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
TEMPLATE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS