Chickpea Artichoke Masala

Friday, September 4, 2015



Chickpea artichoke masala took me by surprise.  It was the end of the week, and I was on day three of not feeling like cooking when I came home from work.  I usually stock the fridge with one or two convenience meals per week for such an occasion.  However it was Friday.  We ate frozen pizza two nights ago, and take out the night before.  I thought, I need to go ahead and tackle that recipe.  Half the items are out of cans, it won't be too much effort.  

When I make my grocery list for the week and decide which Aarti Paarti recipes to tackle for the week, I let the visually appetizing pictures lure me to them.  This recipe caught my eye because I love artichokes big time.  Well Aarti and I must be simpatico, because I turned to page 184, and read that this recipe came to Aarti whist donning sweatpants and trying to throw a quick dinner together with what she had on hand.  I gathered my sweatpants wearing self to the kitchen and got to work.

This chickpea artichoke masala may not be much to look at, but it was very tasty.  I am mainly accustomed to eating artichokes via a cheese laden dip, so it was great to explore new ways to use this tasty bulb.  I served this with rice and naan and it was a very filling and healthy meatless dinner for a Friday.  Maybe you will like it too?

You will need:
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 in peeled and minced fresh ginger
2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 TBSP sunflower oil
1 TSP cumin seeds
1 TSP ground coriander
1/2 TSP garama masala
1/4 TSP paprika
1/4 TSP turmeric
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 TBSP fresh lime juice (juice for 1/2 a lime)
1 (14.5 oz) can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water

First you take the onion, garlic, ginger, and tomatoes and blend until smooth in a small food processor or mini chopper.  Mine stayed a little chunky, but blend to your desired smoothness.

In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering and very close to the smoke point, over medium-high heat.  Add in the cumin seeds and let them boil/pop for around 30 seconds.  Next add in the tomato onion paste.  Sauté until mixture darkens and thickens, around 10 minutes.

Next go the spices.  Add the coriander, garam masala, paprika, and turmeric.  Sauté for about 30 seconds.

Now time for the yogurt.  Slowly drizzle in so it does not curdle.  Add lime juice, chickpeas, artichokes and water, then simmer together for 10 minutes.  Season if need be, and serve.







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
TEMPLATE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS